According to Instagram these days, people are watching less TV and more digital video. By 2021, mobile video will account for 78% of total mobile data traffic. We've also learned that younger audiences are spending more time with amateur content creators and less time with professionals.
While there’s a stand-alone IGTV app, you’ll also be able to watch from within the Instagram app so the entire community of one billion can use it from the very start.
IGTV is different in a few ways. First, it’s built for how you actually use your phone, so videos are full screen and vertical. Also, unlike on Instagram, videos aren’t limited to one minute. Instead, each video can be up to an hour-long.
Recently, Instagram announced that IGTV previews2 would now appear in the regular Instagram feed, along with videos being shared to Instagram profiles.
Since that change, views on IGTV videos have skyrocketed across the board, increasing by ~300-1000%3.
Advantages and opportunities that IGTV offers:
1. No need for expensive equipment – Many marketers are put off by the potential cost associated with filming and editing a video with good sound and lighting. The thing with IGTV is that none of this is necessary to get started. The vertical format of the videos allows video-makers to get creative with just the phone in their pocket. Moreover, there are free apps that can help you get started and share pretty attractive videos with no heavy investment.
2. It is easy – As mentioned earlier, anyone can do it, so no one is expecting a Hollywood movie level of content. The convenience of it allows capturing content like never before without the need of any complex set-up or technical kit.
3. Be among the first – There is still the chance to take advantage of the first mover moment. This is the perfect opportunity to get established, to learn what works and stay ahead of the competitors, who will definitely be joining IGTV soon because of its growing popularity. Being a pioneer will definitely help you expand your reach. After all, people are always attracted to something new and novel like IGTV. Additionally, there is a “Following” tab in IGTV so your fans can easily access and enjoy your content from there.
4. Instagram Integration – since introducing the feature that users can post one-minute previews of their IGTV videos straight to the news feed, the number of viewers has increased4. Posting previews on your business’ Instagram and redirecting followers to your IGTV helps boost engagement.
5. Show off your creativity – Let IGTV be your digital blank canvas and show your customers different sides of your business. Additionally, if you are working with influencers, IGTV is the perfect place to share content they have created for your brand.
6. Sell through the videos – Use IGTV to introduce more of your product catalogue in a natural, familiar way and let your fans shop when they watch your channel. Luckily, when you upload a video to IGTV you are able to include a link in the video description, unlike on your Instagram posts.
Don’t wait a lot to take advantage of IGTV – and don’t forget to have fun with it!